It’s now becoming embarrassing!

26 Feb

It’s now becoming embarrassing!
It is now the end of February and I still have not really got this 9 sq/mtr project properly underway yet: it just seems to be one thing after another at the moment. I’ve sold more Cargo Cycles Pallet Dismantling Bars in the first 2 months of this year than I did in the whole of last year. I thought I was being clever last week by making a large batch buffer stock of them, and 3 days later I am already almost sold out. Making another batch will have to wait a day or two  because I have now got a planned maintenance contract in a local factory which means time away from my workshop. Then we received the notification that we qualify for a 100% grant for 200mm of loft insulation from the government, Norwich City council and EDF energy …. Which was very timely at the end of winter!
However, we have to make provision for the installation contractors by lifting the existing wooden loft flooring by 200mm to accommodate this new thicker layer of insulation.
Most people buy and fit proprietary legs made for the job or make some wooden riser legs themselves and hold them in place with steel straps and screws:


After some research and price comparison I have chosen a different method. The proprietary legs at a price of £16.95 for 12 turned out to be a very uneconomical option and at only 175mm high they were 25mm too short, and the wooden pieces of   2“ X 2 “ X 10 inch and metal straps was ½ the price, but when I looked into the economics of both methods I have decide to go a different route.
Although the method we have chosen is literally priced exactly halfway between the two options shown above it is going to be more labour intensive: However, in the long-term it will reduce our heating bills even further and save us a greater amount money that would have otherwise been spent on ever escalating fuel bills.
We are going to make 200mm high plywood cells and install them onto the joists. The plywood and tile batten has set me back £114, and glue, screws and nails another £18. But as the insulation and installation is completely free of charge, we believe that us spending £132 on the materials and putting in the 20 -30 hours of my time into this project is going to pay us dividends in the years come.
Six sheets of 2440mm X 1220mm X 9mm thick spruce construction grade plywood have been ripped down across the sheet to make 1220 mm long X 200 mm high partition boards to run the full length of the roof joists. I originally wanted to rip the plywood down along its length, but after a practice run with an 8 feet long pallet deck plank we found we could not get this through the loft access hatch. So I’ve ended up doing twice the cutting that I initially wanted to. I’ve also chopped 24 metres of tanalised tile batten into 300mm lengths, and 24 metres into 150mm lengths. These noggins will be screwed to the joist to fix the plywood sections in place. With some lateral thinking employed, this will now be pre drilled for the joist screws and fixed onto the plywood cell boards with 20 X 3.5mm screws , 30 mm pins and D3 exterior grade PVA wood glue to make up sub assemblies that will be very convenient to handle, along with being quick and easy to install.
So Lois and I spent 3 hours today ripping down the plywood and chopping the noggins. With just a handful of pallet bars left in stock I have decided to have a day off from welding and fabricating tomorrow and will set up the pillar drill in the workshop for drilling the fixing screw holes into the noggins and get these done before disappearing off fishing for the rest of the day: Lure and deadbait fishing for the resident Pike at the confluence of the rivers Wensum and Yare.
Ripping down the plywood:


Lois has several trays of seedlings already growing on the windowsill in the spare bedroom: Yellow Tomatoes, micro Tomatoes, Purple Basil. Tiger Chilli Peppers on the veg side, and the following flowers varieties; Antirrhinums (Snap-Dragons), Alyssum, dark crimson Sunflowers, Giant Sunflowers, and Sweet Peas that are part of our companion growing programme, offering ground cover, and to encourage Bees and other insects into our garden, along with giving us some colour and fragrance.     And a couple of photos of our stepped from the corner, 3 tiered flower planter now that the spring bulbs are beginning to show through:
Last October;

This afternoon;

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: